Sunday 28 December 2008

pigged out...

Well, thats another Christmas over and done with...

I guess I have finally grown up, as for the first time in years I have gone to bed on Christmas Eve and didnt hear Santas sleigh bells...

...Im quite distraught, next people will be telling me he doesnt really exist! But I know that wouldnt be true as I was tracking Santa and the Internet guys wouldnt lie about that ;o).

This Christmas I have pigged out big style...

On Christmas Eve we went to Frankie & Bennys it describes itself as a 50's style US diner, James describes it better as a poor version of Hard Rock Cafe, the meal itself was nice I had meatballs with penne pasta (think decent meatballs but not the misshapen ones that Ive made on previous occasions ;o)) and for dessert I had their rather scrummy cinnamon waffle crunch (the crunch being toffee crunch pieces) I also had half or rather most of James chocolate trio cheesecake (not three mini cheesecakes as the name suggests but one piece with three layers of chocolate) which was also rather scrummy. I also had a Tia Maria coffee to finish it was served in the same way as an Irish Coffee.

Christmas Day itself started and finished well ;o)

I had finished a 75cl bottle of Peach Bellini by lunchtime (it would have gone flat otherwise).

For breakfast I had two pork and chilli sausages (out of a bag of 18 I bought from the Farmers Market (that reminds me I better bag some of them up and put them in the freezer) - I had to stock up as they are on holiday for two weeks now and they had a special offer on too 16 for £10.00) and a fried egg with two slices of toast.

I think my favourite part of the Christmas dinner has to be the trimmings (ie stuffing, roast potatoes and yorkshire pudding (and according to some people you dont have that for Christmas dinner - well I do), I dont really worry about having vegetables with my dinner that day (they would take up too much room (on my plate as well as in my tummy) that could be better filled ;o)).

I have to admit I am one of the people that advertisements on tv are aimed at and yes I do get seduced by them...
...the latest one to get me was the Marks & Spencer advert with Michael Parkinson and how his wife wanted the Christmas Pudding Cheesecake. I saw the aforementioned Cheesecake and it is 1.4 kilogrammes of loveliness. I was umming and ahhing about whether to buy it and decided to go for it (afterall as James said "Christmas is only once a year"). It is supposed to serve 14 portions (but are they all to be eaten by one person ;o)) and me and James will be finishing it off tonight.

As I usually do I cooked too much (on purpose rather than because "my eyes are bigger than my belly"), so I could eat the rest of the roast potatoes, stuffing and yorkshire pudding cold over the next couple of days. I ate the last wodge of stuffing yesterday after I ate my lunch.

I have also gotten into eating mince pies, I think we have one left so me and James will be fighting over who gets to eat that tonight ;o).

The shops were really busy last week (anyone would think it is Christmas). I walked to the big Sainsburys a couple of afternoons after I ate my lunch to get out of the house and the aisles were really busy, luckily I was just there ambling rather than to do some proper shopping. On one of the afternoons there was a "Poor old dear" reading her shopping list with a magnifying glass (I guess if she had been there any other day then she could have got a shop worker to help her get her shopping).
I ended up paying for my bits at the self service tills on both days as the tills all had at least one person waiting.
I weighed myself this morning (having not weighed myself for two weeks), and knew the weight gain would be substantial (I had a figure in my head of eight pounds but was expecting a lot worse), and was pleasantly surprised that it was only eight pounds woohoo ;o).
I guess riding the excercise bike every day has helped ;o)

3 comments:

James (UK) said...

I still don't like your take on Yorkshire Pudding myself.

Just look at that image in the link above; that's how I want it, dark and crispy on the outside, with just a bit of texture on the inside... not that-----------------------REMAINDER OF POST CENSORED BY BLOGGER BOT MODERATOR TO PREVENT LOSS OF LIFE / GREVIOUS BODILY HARM / INJURY TO POSTER----------------------------17:37 28 December 2008.GMT.(UTC+100)

Al said...

Well it's Christmas, you're allowed to go a bit nuts, 8 pounds is good though.

Nothing wrong with having Yorkshire Pudding with your Christmas dinner. I don't have it myself but it sort of fits with the rest of the meal if you see what I mean. I couldn't eat cold stuffing though, but then I'm not really a fan full stop.

chocolat lover said...

James you were right to moderate your comments ;o)

Al that was my way of thinking too...

I know a few people who dont like eating stuffing. Myself I dont like gravy or any sauces in general!