Sunday 1 March 2009

Thrice as nice

Pancake Day was yummy not least because I am not dieting as I was this time last year...


...this year I bought a tub of ready made pancake batter from Marks & Spencer, I limited myself to having two pancakes which I lovingly smothered in golden syrup with a chopped up banana - in the hope of making them healthy (I know, I know ;o)).


Last year I bought a packet of ready made pancakes - I think I used some Starbucks Creme Brulee syrup on them. The year before (pre diet) I had the tub of ready made batter and had the whole lot!


Dont get me wrong, my mindset hasnt changed one iota...


...I really wanted to eat the whole lot but that little voice inside my head said not too (and for once I listened to it!).


I got a leaflet through the post last week from Hotel Chocolat and the tasting club has a members only egg, Ive gone for the mix egg that has one shell in milk chocolate and the other in dark chocolate. I wouldnt normally order something so extravagant, but I thought sod it ;o).

Now I dont have to worry about trawling around the shops to see what I fancy (in all honesty I fancy the whole lot of them except Bounty as I dont like desiccated coconut).

I have found a new favourite shop to look in...

...in London Lite last week there was an article about Paul A Young a chocolate shop in The Royal Exchange. They had sold out of the Pecan Mallows (which was what I went in there for), but I got me and James each a salted caramel chocolate instead (I couldnt taste the salt but the caramel definitely tasted sweeter because of it). I was faithfully told by the French shop assistant (I have a feeling that the amount of times I will be going in there he will become my new best friend) that they will have some more either on Monday or Tuesday. While I was there I was looking at their flavoured chocolate bars (they had loads of them and I fully intend tasting each one ;o)) and bought myself a Venezuelan 70% bar with green peppercorns.

I bought the chocolate bar with me to Starbucks so I could try it after I have weighed myself (incidentally I put on 100 grammes, I was gutted at first then remembered I had the two pancakes on Tuesday and a huge ciabatta garlic bread last night and now am quite pleased that I didnt put on more ;o)). The chocolate bar was really nice and you could taste the bitterness of the peppercorns which was a nice contrast. James tried a bit and didnt like it - Im not bothered about this as it means I dont have to share it with him ;o) and no I didnt buy it knowing that he wouldnt like it - it just worked out that way (honest ;o)).

On Fridays Birleys had again sold out of lamb, so I couldnt have my half a lamb sandwich (it still makes me laugh as it sounds really greedy).

So they actually lost a proper sale this time, as I went to Pret a Manger and got a soup instead. Talking of soups I had three this week...

...On Monday I had Sag Aloo (you will be pleased to know it was as nice as it was last week), on Thursday and Friday I had two new soups.

My first new soup was Five Bean Cassoulet (borlotti, cannellini, kidney, flageolet & butter beans, olive oil, sundried tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, organic vegetable bouillon, parsley, sage & thyme) and the second was Chilli Beef & Rice (minced beef, tomato, kidney beans, red peppers, red chilli, cumin, balsamic vinegar & rice), they were both nice but not really nice and would go on my reserve soup list.

Dont forget those of you who can get UKtv Food to watch Market Kitchen at 7pm on Tuesday and Friday this week.

8 comments:

James (UK) said...

Fyi, the descriptions for the shows are;

"New. Inspiring recipes from the UK's leading restaurant chefs. Food for a Fiver features chicken wrapped in pancetta, while 'Pimp My Pudding' looks at spicing up vanilla ice cream. "

...for Tuesday's episode and

"New. Foodie fun from the regular team and guest chefs. Galton Blackiston makes blood orange mousse with orange sorbet and Silvana Franco cooks chicken and leek stew with dumplings."

,for Friday's one.

Anonymous said...

"Dont get me wrong, my mindset hasnt changed one iota...


...I really wanted to eat the whole lot but that little voice inside my head said not too (and for once I listened to it!)."

That makes me laugh, because it sounds just like me! If I could eat whatever, without gaining and still lose...I WOULD ;)

Darn that little voice for being so little and right all the time :)

chocolat lover said...

Thanks for that James, I completely forgot about mentioning the descriptions...

Kelly, the trick is to have little bits of what you fancy but just not go over the top, and yes thats easier said than done!

Al said...

That egg sounds really good, I'm sure you'll enjoy it as long as you make sure James doesn't get to it first. Great idea buying chocolate that he wouldn't like by the way!

I'm going to record those episodes and try and watch them at the weekend. Let me know if you appear in them anywhere and I'll know to keep my eyes open extra wide to try and spot you and James.

chocolat lover said...

Thanks Al, hmmmm how to keep him away from the egg, I think I'll have to hide it somewhere...

...but where? I know...

...I'll hide it the ottoman (he wont think to look there)yes, I think thats what I'll do ;o)

Now, how do I get it delivered without him realising that its my egg...

...how about I get them to write Bill on it? Yes that will fool him ;o)

Buying dark chocolate is always a good way of ensuring James wont eat it ;o)

Ill try and let you know if I spot us on there...

James (UK) said...

You should have got them to write "Warning! Live venomous snakes" on the box.

Dark chocolate isn't even real chocolate! It's a putrid formulation dreamt up by the New World Order! I'm telling you! It is! The Queen's a reptilian too and she eats it!

*Shouting becomes faint as he is dragged away by white-coated officials...*

Al said...

Dark chocolate is the best kind!

James (UK) said...

No it isn't! It's the bodily excretions of the "Lord Satin" himself!