Sunday 2 August 2009

Going to work in my PJs

OOOOhhhh I have a new follower...

Welcome dot (thats what Im going to call you ;o)).

Well the train strike went ahead on Thursday and Friday last week (that was a surprise I can tell you), when I got up on Thursday morning and checked the website I was half expecting "we are pleased to say the strike has been called off", but no it was "please allow more time for your journey". Yes they were running limited trains of one per hour (as opposed to the six per hour I can get normally) on the different lines. The one would have to have got would have started from Colchester a full five stations down the line from me and would have been packed to the rafters (if trains had rafters ;o)).

So, I ended up working from home. I decided that if I got up at my normal time, then I could start work at say 7am and doing 7 hours work I could be finished by 2pm, leaving the afternoon to do as I like ;o) That was my theory and to my surprise (and yours too) thats what I did.

So what did I do with my extra hours? As the weather was nice I went out for walks ;o).

On Saturday my Mum and Sister came over from The Netherlands they are here until Wednesday (just before the next strikes are due). I went and met up with them along with Brother no 2 and his girlfriend. I promised my Mum I would mention her on my blog without blaming her for my witches hair ;o).

I never realised how much my love of fig rolls affected their childhood. Apparently I would award the person who kept quietest the longest with a fig roll! I also said that if you talked too much then you would run out of words ;o). What a nice big sister I am ;o).

All this talk of fig rolls has made me want some, so when I was shopping in Sainsburys this morning I spent a whole 5 minutes down the biscuit aisle looking for them, and was mighty pleased that I did.

You will probably recall last weeks brilliant idea of having a good dessert on Saturday night and a bad dessert on Sunday (after weighing myself), well this week I decided to go for good desserts both days. partly because I saw that Marks & Spencers also do a chocolate muffin dessert. I had that one last night and that was gorgeous too - definitely going on my desserts to have again list.

Thinking about it I dont think the list of stuff I wouldnt have again has anything on it!

I weighed myself this morning and have put on 100 grammes, no big deal!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Apparently I would award the person who kept quietest the longest with a fig roll! I also said that if you talked too much then you would run out of words ;o). What a nice big sister I am ;o).

Oh, the stories that can and have been told of my duties as a big sister ;) Some, though, I swear have been twisted and pulled like taffy...and are nothing close to the truth! ;)

Your work theory sounds EXCELLENT. It makes total sense, because then you have an entire day to do with what you please.

Anonymous said...

1/6th of the normal service does indeed sound like a recipe for cattle class conditions and extended journey times. Probably just as well you didn't go into work and did it from home instead!

I probably wouldn't have the self-discipline to do what you did though. For a start there would be no way I could make myself start that early if there wasn't an absolute need to do so. It's an excellent idea though. Ever thought about trying to work from home on a more permanent basis, say two days a week (ideally Monday and Friday probably!)?

chocolat lover said...

I asked a bloke at the station what the trains were like on Thursday & Friday and he said that they were awful, and he wont be doing it this week if the strikes go ahead again!

I dont think I could get away with working at home on a regular basis unfortunately!

Kelly, I think some of what they said was exaggerated!

Anonymous said...

I saw on London Tonight er... tonight, that a third union has joined in. While they're too late to legally participate in this weeks strikes they will in next weeks if they still go ahead, which will make things even worse.

Looks like another couple of days working from home if they haven't sorted it!

chocolat lover said...

I will be asking my boss today, if I can work from home again tomorrow if the strike is on...

...I'll let you know ;o)

A third union, blimey I wonder if other train companies will join in too?

Anonymous said...

As it's a dispute with NXEA I don't think any staff from other companies would be legally allowed to join in. Apparently the new union represents their booking office staff if I remember correctly so it probably wouldn't have any noticeable effect for you (assuming you have a season ticket or something similar).