Thursday 20 May 2010

my French was good enough for them to know that I am English!

The one thing that truly surprised me about Paris was that it is now non smoking.  The few French people I have encountered all smoke, so I can imagine that there were loads of complaints when that law came in ;o).

We made sure we got to Ebbsfleet International early (I think we got there two and a half hours before the train was due to leave), we werent allowed to check in until 90 minutes prior to departure, so we sat in this little (one woman) coffee shop waiting to go through those magic gates.

We were finally allowed to check in and all that was waiting at check in was a Caffe Nero and a W H Smith, to say James was disappointed was an understatement!

The train arrived on time, but the driver didnt announce when we were going through the tunnel!  Admittedly the previous times (we have only been on Eurostar twice before) we went to Disneyland Paris, so perhaps they just announce it for the benefit of the kiddies onboard.  I know that were not kiddies but I STILL WANTED TO KNOW!!!!!  I may have to sue them for the mental disturbance caused to me ;o)  "mental note" - do not mention this blog in my citation (as I dont think it will help my cause ;o)).

We finally got to Gare Du Nord, found the Metro, queued up to buy our train tickets asked for two tickets in French and the lady replied to me in English ;o).

Most of the French people I came across were friendly enough, there were only a couple of really rude people.  I was expecting more rude people but James thought everyone was quite rude...

We stayed in a 3 star hotel just off of the Champes Elysees, in truth the hotel was a let down.  There was no tea or coffee making facilities, the only English speaking channel on the tv was CNN.  All that would have been excused if the breakfast was fantastic!  HUH the breakfast was awful...

...we got a wicker basket containing 3 pastries each - and they wouldnt give you more, there was cheese and sausage slices, jam, marmalade, bread for toasting - the lady running the breakfast room was only putting out 4 slices of the cheapest white bread at a time (I guess there was a limit as to how much bread we were allowed), and there were softish boiled eggs (it was a lottery as to how soft your egg was going to be).

The funniest thing was that the lady came around each morning asking what room you were in (I mean as if anyone would come in there for breakfast otherwise?).

We did the usual touristy things like the Eiffel Tower a bus tour and a boat trip down the Seine.

Paris was really expensive too - I bought what I thought was enough Euros and we had to use the credit card towards the end!

c'est la vie ;o)

5 comments:

Al said...

Ah, I wondered where you'd got to this weekend!

Never been to Paris or indeed France myself but I'm glad you had a good, if expensive, trip. A shame about the hotel but I suppose that's the catch with star ratings, they're only as good as the day they were awarded and what might get 3 stars in one country might only achieve 1 in another!

Kelly said...

You are brave, I would not have been able to handle going in that tunnel...warned or not. Glad to hear that you had a decent time and didn't run into too many of the rude Parisians that are rumored to be running the streets over there :)

When you say that it is now no smoking, does that include outside on the streets or just inside?

chocolat lover said...

Al - your right they always say that a 3 star in Europe isnt going to be as nice as a 3 star here in the UK.

I live & learn (until the next time at least) ;o)

Kelly its ok going through the tunnel - it takes about 20 minutes - although only a few weeks ago some trains were stuck in there for 4 hours!

Connie T. said...

I have never been to Europe. Paris sounds wonderful, even with the not so great breakfast. The breakfast sounds good to me.

chocolat lover said...

Connie - if you did make it over to Europe you would be shocked by the customer service...

...we have found that people in the states are super friendly (whether that is just our English accents attracting the attention or not I dont know ;o)).

In London for example if you went for a meal the waiting staff are all from Eastern European countries so they are already having to understand a language that isnt their mother tongue - and if you want something that isnt part of the menu (such as no mayo) you stand no chance!