Tuesday 27 July 2010

free shouldnt mean 19 pence

In yesterdays Metro there was a voucher for a free bottle of Glacieau water from Tesco, so I picked out my bottle of water and got a packet of cherries too (to have with my lunch).


I got to the self scan tills (because there was no-one serving on the cashier ones because I was way too early), scanned the drink and my cherries, then I scanned the voucher (it had to be verified by the supervisor), the till then said that I had to pay £2.18.  


This was odd because the cherries were £1.99 and the drink was free - I thought to myself ok I will see what the receipt says.  I had a look at the receipt and the voucher was only for £1.20 but the bottle of water was £1.39.


In my head free means free, so I marched upto Customer Services and showed the lady my receipt and said that I had a voucher for a free bottle of water but the voucher was only for £1.20 - she said "yes this is correct and that I had to pay 19 pence because of the store price!"  So I said "but it is supposed to be free" and she said "because of the store price you have to pay 19 pence" so I said "but it doesnt say this on the voucher"  Ok I admit I hadnt actually looked at the voucher but I wasnt going to let her know this.


So I said to her "if its not free I dont want it then" and placed the bottle on the counter.  She then said "well I can only give you 19 pence back for it" and I said "yes thats ok"


So I got my 19 pence back...


I didnt actually want the bottle of drink, but if it had been something that I had wanted then I would have paid the extra.

3 comments:

Al said...

Most vouchers do have a maximum value up to which they are valid and this will be mentioned in the small print somewhere or other. Therefore, technically, they were correct (but then you knew that anyway :)).

However, I would imagine that the majority of stores which stock that water are in, lets say, the more affluent parts of the city and that most of them will be priced at around the £1.39 mark (while we're here, £1.39 for a bottle of water?). So really, it's a bit naughty of the Metro to include that voucher, or advertise it as a free bottle, when chances are the voucher isn't going to cover the full cost.

It's also technically naughty that they didn't give you the full amount back. Although, I can understand why since they'd have people doing the same thing all of the time. You can bet that they'll cash the voucher in and get the £1.20 despite not having sold the bottle.

chocolat lover said...

I do hope then that the £1.20 value of the voucher filters its way down to he staff sports & social club - or something similar ;o)

I doubt it though!

Al said...

Well, since they will take a coupon for anything that they sell as long whether the customer has bought anything or not I doubt it!