Wednesday 21 July 2010

ter minutes

For the past week we have been having server problems at work...


On Monday an engineer was in to have a look at it, so I rang the company who do our IT to say that we were all logged off and asked them to shut down the server (as the engineer didnt know the password).


The bloke I spoke to had a thick African accent and said that they would shut down the server in "ter minutes", so I said "sorry I didnt catch that - how long?" and he said again "ter minutes" so I thought on my feet whilst trying to be diplomatic (It doesnt happen very often ;o)) so I said "do you mean two as in between one and three or ten as in between nine and 11?" and again he said "in ter minutes"!  I was losing the will to live at this point, so I said "thanks byeeeee".


It so happened that the part they had sent for the engineer to fix wasnt the correct part anyway, but luckily it all got fixed last night ;o).

4 comments:

Kelly said...

good thinking on your feet! I think I would have just said 'huh?' over and over again. Accents. I tell you what. Maddening.


by the way, i made blueberry muffins with the blueberries and Myles ate about 6 of them today. So, they are all gone. I only brought home about three pounds and I have a little bit left. probably pancakes for the wee one in the morning. yep :)

chocolat lover said...

Ive just been salivating over your pictures ;o)

Al said...

I have to deal with quite a few thick and unreasonable Eastern European accents from customers but I have the advantage of knowing what they normally want. I don't know how I'd manage if it were over the phone.

chocolat lover said...

In person you can gesticulate & point at the stuff that you want - over the phone it is impossible...

As I knew that the server was being shutdown anyway it wasnt important to know if it was 2 or 10 minutes.