Sunday 5 June 2011

charity shop pilgrimage

Yesterday afternoon we went back into Chelmsford so that James could look in the charity shops (for cheap books) in the other end of town to where he works in the week.

So we headed to Moulsham Street and so began the pilgrimage...

Every shop that James went into the same assortment of weirdos came out...

There was the bloke who hadnt made it to the toilet in time, the traders with large carryall shopping bags, the old woman with her shopping trolley and the ones who clearly "arent playing with a full deck of cards".

...yes James was following them! Or was it that they knew where he was going so had decided to buy the cheap books before he had gotten to them?

I just waited outside in the shade because I truly hate charity shops.

When I thought we had finally finished James then saw a sign for a church book sale...

...Aaaaaarrrrggggghhhhh no!!!!!!!

I finally gave up and said that I wasnt going to do anymore walking so I plonked myself on a bench and waited for him to come back.

He said that there were thousands of books in there for 40p each but they werent categorized, and he didnt really have the willpower to look through them, and yes the church had its very own set of weirdos!

7 comments:

Al said...

You know I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't like going in Charity Shops. Weirdos aside, they all seem to smell the same and it's not a pleasant smell, not to mention that some of them seem to cram loads of stuff into a very small space so it smells and it's claustrophobic. Not a great combination.

Just a thought, but maybe James was the one attracting the weirdos (or James was attracted to them)... :)

Eileen H said...

I don't mind going into charity shops, mostly I look at books and nicknacks NEVER clothes. Last year I had a big declutter of books and now I'm buying them again!
Unfortunately charity shops do attract the great unwashed and the weirdos, I just hope I never fall into that category!

chocolat lover said...

Al - I dont like the smell either...

Im not too sure as who is attracted to who!

Eileen - your very like James...

...you should try bookcrossing your books next time www.bookcrossing.com then that way you can see the journey that they go on and what people thought of your book.

Lot-O-Choc said...

Oh god sounds like you got completely dragged around! It depends on the charity shop i think, sometimes you can get a really good find but other times its just filled with weirdos and not particularly appealing products!

chocolat lover said...

Natalie - I did hopefully he has it out of his system for a while now ;o)

Kelly said...

Are charity shops like resale shops? Y'all have such cute names for everything. ;)

That aside, I'm sorry you were on such a torturous adventure yesterday. Did you at least get a starbucks for being such a good sport?

chocolat lover said...

Kelly - yes they are resale shops...

I didnt even get a Starbucks - clearly my negotiating skills need to be honed some more ;o)