Sunday 17 May 2009

Brahms with my Praline, I dont think so

Thank you all for my Birthday wishes last week ;o)

Whilst out shopping last week I bought a birthday cake to have, not a proper one because that would have been plain greedy, but a coffee sponge roll, which was really scrummy ;o)



If you click on the link it will take you to my flickr page

The day itself was good, I even got cups of tea made for me at work, which is generally unheard of! I always seem to be the one who makes most of the drinks. I swear they would die of dehydration if I didnt make the drinks.

I even did the right thing and bought cakes for everyone or rather pastries...

...I bought three croissants, one pain au raisin, and a maple pecan plait for me ;o) Theres only five of us.

When I was back in London my boss even told me not to feel I should make the drinks and to only make them if I was making one for me. I even half joked on another occasion that I wait til Im dieing of thirst before I make the drinks!

I got this mailing the other day from the Chocolate Tasting Club, I really did consider going for it, but thought to myself do I really want to pay another £7.00 for a CD? The answer to that was a big fat no! Especially as Im not really a fan of classical music.

Talking of unheard of things, I normally bring to work some sort of food thing when Ive been away on holiday, and my colleague brings me back a bar of chocolate (which is really nice of him) when hes been away, the other people dont tend to bother. Im the only person to send postcards too.

My boss went to Turkey for a golfing break and actually bought us back some Turkish Delight, so it was actually the proper stuff ;o) It was really nice too, I ended up having two pieces one mint and one rose and they were coated in coconut with a nut in the middle.

I weighed myself this morning and knew that I was bound to have put a bit of weight on after having all those yummy things, so was well pleased that I only put on 200 grammes. Im going to try to be (or rather reasonably) good from now on. I know who am I kidding ;o)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never understood why someone has to buy the cakes/sweets/whatever when it's their Birthday. Surely it should be the other way round? Then again I suppose it's more practical to do it that way. Just be glad that you don't work with a large group of people otherwise it would end up costing you a small fortune!

James (UK) said...

Like Al, I wonder where that tradition came from too. I gave it up when everyone else at my place stopped. *Sigh*

chocolat lover said...

The whole cake/sweet buying for birthdays is a bit weird!

I will see if anyone else buys cakes in the next year, and will then decide whether to continue ;o)

Anonymous said...

It could have started because it's easier for one person to buy for everyone than it is for everyone to buy for one. Plus, by doing it the "wrong" way round, each person only has to pay up once a year.

We don't bother with anything like that where I work. We do quite often have a couple of bags of sweets or something lying around though. Just today, our team leader bought each of the three departments a box of sweets to say thank you for our continued support, which was nice.

James (UK) said...

It's great when that happens, isn't it? Just the gesture alone is such a compliment.

Sounds silly, but when we give stuff to the Starbucks guys, like a few Cadbury's crème eggs / mixed packs of sweets etc. just to say "thanks" or "happy Christmas", I'd like to think I can tell they really appreciate being "remembered", if you see what I mean.

Come on then, what were the sweets? Haribo "Tangfastics"?

chocolat lover said...

Its nice when someone spends a few quid to make you feel appreciated ;o)

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean, James. Our T/L has to put up with a lot of crap from above and is expected to cover more shifts than she has staff for and has to fight tooth and nail for overtime. Somehow she manages it though and she'll always fight our corner so we'll generally do anything we can to help her out. I even did an 8:30am to 8:30pm shift the other week for her!

They were Ferrero Rondnoir chocolates and very nice they were too. I ended up buying the sweets today so we ended up with Giant Buttons, Celebrations and Maltesers.

What can I say, I have simple tastes!