Wednesday 9 September 2009

HeaDache

Post one of two

On Monday morning I had a phone call just before 9am from the Sky engineer saying that he would arrive between 9 and 10 am (at least Im their first job of the day). At just after 10 am I hear the sound of a van outside and look out of the front door and see two sky vans and two engineers. My first thought was ok so Sky doesnt care much about their carbon footprint.

Anyhow the two engineers come in carrying a box containing the shiny new Sky+ HD box, they start disconnecting the defunct Sky+ box and connect up the HD one. They then switch our (supposedly HD) television to HDMI mode, and there is vision but no sound :o(. So one of the engineers goes out to the van to get another HDMI scart lead whilst the other is on the phone to Sky finding out why we "aint got no sound". I asked him if this sort of problem occurs regularly and he just said "it aint a problem its just a setting".

So the new lead is fitted and there still isnt any sound, so they then went out to the van to get a new HD box in case that was faulty, and there was still no sound *sigh*.

They then call the TV manufacturer to see if they can suggest as to why there is no sound (they were worse than useless) the bloke was just reading off a card saying to disconnect the tv and reconnect everything and to re tune it etc, the Sky engineer was starting to lose his patience and told him that he knew this wouldnt work. The sound worked ok through the normal Scart lead (but not much help if you want to watch HD).

He then asked me if the tv was still in warranty as that must be where the fault lies. I remembered that we bought the tv from Argos in November, so was sure it was still in warranty. I found the receipt and yes we bought it in November , November 2007, my (cleaned up) thought was blimey we are out of warranty.

I sent James a text to tell him about the problems and he suggested calling Argos to complain. So I called Argos and explained what happened. I was then put through to a supervisor and explained the situation to her, she then spoke to the store manager on my behalf and they agreed to give us a full refund in gift vouchers to be used towards a new HD television. What a result ;o).

So last night I sent James out to Argos to do the exchange, and we now have a brand new television for £50.00, and yes the HDMI socket has both sound and vision...

See my next post for the review of the first truly HD programme that we watched last night...

2 comments:

James (UK) said...

Great post title!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a bit of a nightmare all round does that! Two engineers though, you were privileged in that respect. Plus you managed to get a shiny new TV for £50, can't be bad!