Sunday 6 September 2009

three possible titles

The first two titles of this post could have been "Its pining for the fjords" or "The saga continues"...

Yes youve guessed it the damn Sky+ box is on its last legs again! You can read the whole sorry tale here and here.

On Wednesday night we came home to find the sky+ box wasnt allowing us to play the programmes already recorded or to record programmes, so we rebuilt the planner again, it would work for a while and would die again! After this happening three or four times we came to the conclusion that the sky+ box is on its way to the big "sitting room in the sky", and it was time to bite the bullet and either upgrade or get a new box.

After being told when I rang to upgrade to Sky+ HD that it would take six weeks due to the high demand, I then got an e-mail two days later saying that an HD box was ready for me, I have subsequently been getting e-mails from them every other day (I kid you not) saying that my HD box is ready!

So Thursday morning I tried ringing Sky to get an engineer out to replace the box, and because I was ringing from work and couldnt rebuild the planner from where I was I would have to wait and call when I got home (and wait an extra blooming day I may add). I wasnt having any of this, and decided to jump in head first and upgrade, I tried doing it online (as per the e-mail) and it wouldnt let me, it gave me a number to ring and was when I called was told that the "Sky offices arent open yet" but didnt say what time they would open. I was ringing just after 8am so this was hardly in the middle of the night!

So I looked on the Sky website and rang the number there, long story short; tomorrow morning I will be awaiting a man bearing HD ;o). I am so excited!

Thursday night I got home and I have received a statement from Sky for this months payment including the £65.00 for the engineer visit that I cancelled a couple of weeks ago! So I called them Friday morning and was told that when the engineers visit was cancelled the person forgot to delete the call out charge, and because it is less than two weeks before the payment date they cannot amend the payment! So my choices are either to cancel the direct debit and pay the normal Sky subscription and set up the Direct Debit again (which I am not happy about in case we forget to do it), or to let them keep the money and they dont charge us until the £65.00 has been used or for them to credit us back the money to our bank account. If we want them to credit us back the money we then have to wait another 14 days because the bank has 2 weeks to refuse the payment.

I then asked to speak to a supervisor as this wasnt the fault of the person I was speaking to, and I had a general moan about it all and all she could do was apologise. I then asked if they could offset the £65.00 against the money I was paying to upgrade to HD and no they cant do that either! So I said I would have a think about it and will call them on Tuesday. This is all such a palaver!

We have really missed not having Sky+, and had to record The Hairy Bikers Food Tour of Britain on VHS how antiquated was that?

The other possible title for this post was "On the soup again", as on Tuesday I decided that Pret a Manger soups should rejoin the lunch repertoire ;o) So I tried another new soup Malaysian Chicken (Chicken, rice, coconut milk, onion, garlic, red chilli, fish sauce, lime juice, lemongrass and galangal), it was really nice so will definitely have that one again ;o).

Yesterday while in Marks & Spencer I was looking at their scrummy desserts and after loads of deliberating I decided to go for their Key Lime Pie, whilst looking at the nutritional information on the back I misread the portion size thinking it was per quarter, but was actually per sixth! oh well ;o) Im sure I will get through it ok ;o) And even better James thought the lime was a bit sharp tasting so I dont have to share it ;o)

I weighed myself this morning and was the same again, I think I am going to stop weighing myself for a while and just do it once a month or something ;o)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd be interested to know if your thoughts on Sky HD (when it's all eventually sorted that is!) are the same as those of the only other person I know who has it. If it's actually worth the extra money it's something I might consider in the future.

A bit of a pain with the bill too. I'd be reluctant to cancel the direct debit though just in case someone somewhere in Sky gets a bit funny about the unpaid engineer charge. I'd just pay it and let them credit to your regular billing account if they can so you won't have to pay so much next time.

Incidentally, you'll have to get used to a new EPG with Sky HD too. Something that James will probably delight in picking apart! :-)

At least if you're weight is staying the same you're not gaining anything, despite all of the chocolate and desserts you keep eating!

chocolat lover said...

Im pleased its kind of stabilised too...

I had the same thought about cancelling the DD for the very same reason, we'll probably just let them take the payments out of the £65.00.

James does like looking at things in great detail ;o)

James (UK) said...

I don't really like that Lime thing... it's too sharp!