Sunday 31 January 2010

so you think you can knit

We were watching Harry Hills TV Burp last night and Harry mentioned that they are launching a competition called The K Factor - So You Think You Can Knit, I remembered that I have a teddy bear that I knitted when I was 8 years old (yes its many many moons ago), so I have e-mailed a few pictures to them and will let you know if they come back to me ;o).


to see the full set click here

I had Thursday off work last week, and as I was going into town anyway to meet up with James I thought I will get there a bit earlier and will send off my passport application form. I plonk my letter on the scales saying "I would like to send this first class please" the guy sees what I am sending and says "as you letter contains valuable documents we recommend that you send this Special Delivery - it will cost you £4.79" something close to that anyway. So I say "how much will it be to send recorded delivery" he said in a huff (as he knew this was a far cheaper option - and my passport is about to expire anyway) "that will be £1.39 but as it contains valuable documents I had to recommend the other service".

Ha ha I checked the progress of my letter and it got there just fine ;o)

Between going to the post office and meeting James I went to Starbucks to get myself a drink. I was standing there deciding (but knowing) what to go for and saw that they are now doing a flat white (I have seen it on New Zealand tv shows but never knew exactly what is was). So I asked the Barrista what it was and he said it was a creamy cup of strong coffee from New Zealand made with whole fat milk.



He asked me if I would like to try one and I said no I will stick with my (pretentious) double tall skinny latte, and then he said I could try one for free (I guess this was because it was quiet). I thought for a minute knowing that I would be meeting James soon I said no thanks. I then finished my drink and decided that I did have time for that free coffee after all. As it was still quiet I went up to the bloke and said "is it ok to still try that flat white" and he said "yes it was" ;o).

Anyway I tried and it was really nice, served in a proper tea cup and saucer, it had a single shot of espresso in it and because it was a smaller drink the coffee taste was stronger - and even nicer because it was free.

Alan I saw this article and thought of you ;o) The article in the paper finished with the line "Another Mother said I wont bother with Tesco any more - Im off to Aldi" I was laughing so much when I read this ;o)

I decided to weigh myself this morning and was well pleased that I have lost one pound, not bad since Christmas was just over a month ago ;o)

4 comments:

Al said...

I saw that article too and all I can think of in response is that it's about time. The number of people wandering around the streets here in the PJs in the middle of the day is frankly unreal. Why shouldn't people expect to have to get dressed before going out?

You'd think the people in the Post Office were on commission or something the way they always seem to want to recommend the most expensive service. Whatever you pay for though you know that if it doesn't arrive they're just going to try and fob you off with some lame excuse and you'd have to fight tooth and nail for any compensation.

chocolat lover said...

I did find the whole shopping in your pjs bad...

...its so easy just to pull on a pair of jeans and a t-shirt.

Perhaps the post office workers have "targets" to reach for the sale of premium products? If thats the case I cant blame them!

Kelly said...

that bear is something else...I don't think I could knit that well at this point, let alone at the age of eight!

i had a non-starbucks coffee experience this weekend, and it made me really appreciate the star. Seriously? they have to be doing something right to have thousands of stores all over the world. That drink sounds interesting. I love free coffee.

glad your package made it, even though you were very careless with your choice of delivery methods ;)

chocolat lover said...

When I have been to other coffee shops - they just arent as good - I cant believe I sound SO MUCH like a "coffee snob" ;o)

I was well chuffed when they offered to do me the coffee for free - and this isnt even in our normal store (this is the one we go to if our one is "busy"). I obviously make impressions wherever I go ;o).

If you look at the teddy closely it is full of holes where I dropped the stitches - my Mum says that a sign of knitting well is that you can unravel it again properly - I dont think this could be unraveled EVER ;o)