Tuesday 31 July 2012

a date not a year

Yesterday I had my dentist appointment.

I had a raging headache as I was walking into town (but I put that down to nerves).

We got there and I used Evies lightweight buggy as I had to lug it up a flight of stairs.

So we got up there and I gave them my name and had to fill out a new patient form (the dental assistant saw that I had Evie with me and asked if I needed a hand I told her that I was ok ;o)).

So after I filled in the form I was called into the examination room and sat down on the examination seat, Evie was in her buggy in front of me so that she could see what was happening.

When the dentist lowered the chair this would be the telling sign if Evie was going to "kick off" luckily she was ok ;o)

I was then asked a load of questions about my health and if I had any pains (well nothing except for James of course ;o)), and then came the "when was the last time you had been to the dentist" so I said 1986 the dentist then said to her assistant "you are going to have to work that one out" so I said it was 26 years, and the dentist then said that she was expecting a date not a year.

Then the dentist started checking my teeth telling her assistant what teeth I had and which ones had been removed and that the gaps had closed up, then she said that they would do some x-rays just to make sure that nothing evil lurked within and if nothing came out of it all that I would need was a clean and polish.

They had to take Evie out of the room while they did the x-ray (I was asked if I was ok with this and I was) the dental assistant stayed in the corridor with her ;o)

The clean & polish was then done (I was quite nervous when the dentist and her assistant got out the eye protection ;o)  I know that I said that I had had a bad experience when I was 14!

I then rinsed out my mouth while they checked the x-rays and they said that they were all ok ;o)

And that I was lucky that all that I needed after 26 years was a clean & polish and that I must be doing something right ;o)

I was then told that I could leave but if I wanted to experience having a filling then I was more than welcome!  Er no thank you you are alright on that one ;o)

I had to book James another appointment because his teeth are still giving him some gyp.

Throughout the whole appointment I kept on thinking to myself be brave for Evie you dont want to freak her out, but luckily it went better than I had expected ;o)

Both the dental assistant and the receptionist asked if I needed a hand going back downstairs (I had already accepted the offer from the dental assistant and she gave Evie a cuddle when we were downstairs (she has a little boy whos first birthday is tomorrow).

5 comments:

Eileen H said...

Sounds like you have got into a very caring dental practice. You are very lucky just to need the clean and polish after all those years and for the dentist to do it on the NHS. You must have a very healthy diet.

My dentist has a hygienist working at the practice which is private and a clean and polish now costs £25. Last time he sent me to her it was £18. I really begrudge the cost as I brush twice a day and have one of these sonic toothbrushes and the heads cost a fortune. I always go every six months for a checkup. My dentist is nice and I've been with him over thirty years...I still have all my own teeth, bar some fillings and a crown :-)

Have you registered Evie even though I know she hasn't got any teeth yet?

Kelly said...

You are blessed with good teeth, it seems, my friend! Nice! (Glad it was a good experience for you...now maybe you won't wait a few more decades before returning again! ;) )

chocolat lover said...

Eileen - next time you should refuse to let them do that...

...they wont let me register Evie until she is 3 and then she will sit on my lap in the chair.

I shall take her in with me just so she knows that it is ok ;o)

Kelly - I dont intend to leave it again for so long ;o)

I was really surprised that nothing needed to be done.

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

I'm glad you had a good experience your first time back after 26 years. Sounds like you're getting Evie off to a very good start!

chocolat lover said...

Jean - thanks for the comment ;o)