Thursday 26 April 2018

number problems and batteries

Just before the Christmas holidays Evie got given a box to put used batteries in...

...I found out after we had bought the batteries in after the Christmas holidays that batteries could be collected until Easter.

Yesterday after break time I was asked to count some of the batteries, there was a huge container of them.  I stopped counting after 500!

As well as filing away what the kids had done the day before, I had to help the kids make notes from facts on animals.

They had to work in pairs and either chose chickens, pigs sheep or cows.

Evie and L chose chickens :)

I was asked to help A & T.  A insisted on writing the sentences in full but T was making notes :)

Then after I had gotten fed up with counting batteries I then helped the kids with Number Problems, I was asked to help Evies table :)

They had 5 problems to chose between, the first one that Evie chose was "There are 7 pigs and each pig has 5 turnips,  How many turnips are there?" she had to write 5+5+5+5+5+ 5+5=35 and she got it right and then draw it as dots too.

She then had time to do a second one which was there are "5 kittens and each kitten has 2 ears,  How many ears are there?".

She got them both right :)

I then quickly helped A as he was still doing it as the lunchtime bell went.

Then it was time for me to go and I gave Evie a kiss goodbye and there were no tears :)

So that was really good :)

3 comments:

Eileen H said...

That's a lot of batteries but do you know why they had to be counted? :)

Good that Evie gets her multiplications right. We had to recite times tables when I was at school but I expect they don't do that any more.

chocolat lover said...

Eileen - I have no idea, possibly they get 1 point per battery or something like that :)

I remember reciting times tables too :)

Jules said...

They have a collecting bin for batteries at Lily's school, I often wondered what it was for. X