Sunday 24 July 2011

tiny heartbeat

After having the previous week off and despite having a cold I valiantly dragged myself in to work - making sure that I was sniffling and snuffling loud enough to gain some sympathy ;o)

On Tuesday I had an appointment to see the midwife anyway and decided that as I was still feeling poorly (a great word used by Mummys everywhere ;o)) I would have the day off sick.

So James managed to leave an hour early so he could give me a lift down to the doctors surgery (I was prepared to walk but wasnt going to turn down the offer of a lift), so I went into the doctors surgery and James went off to sort out his prescription.

I arrived got called in by the midwife (I told her that I had a cold hoping that she could suggest a miracle cure but she couldnt suggest anything other than taking hot honey & lemon), then she said "lets have a listen to the babys heartbeat" so I went with her into a little room and I laid down on the bed and she switched on her devise and rolled it over my tummy and yes we could hear a heartbeat ;o).

I told James about this after and he said that he had wished that he had come in with me now - perhaps he can have a listen next time ;o)

On Wednesday & Thursday I was still feeling poorly so had those days off sick too...

...then Thursday afternoon large globs of sleep started building up in my eyes - I showed James when he got home from work and said that it was conjunctivitis!  Great as if I wasnt already feeling bad enough!

So I texted my boss so he at least knew that I wouldnt be in on the Friday either.

So Thursday evening was spent bathing my eyes in cooled boiling water to remove the build up of gunk...

...I then went to bed expecting to wake up not being able to open my eyes...

...and sure enough I woke up needing the toilet (on one of my many wee visits) and couldnt open  my eyes (I managed to feel my way into the bathroom) did my business and sat on the edge of the bath for a while until I could see a little bit of light through my "willed open" eyes and and made my way back to bed.

Then I woke up at 3 am and this time I woke James up and he sorted out the cotton wool wipes and the water for  me.

By the time that James was leaving for work my eyes were fused shut again so I had to clean them AGAIN.

Luckily after that my eyes were just watering.

I rang the midwife to make sure that there was no risk to the baby and she said that there wasnt but she couldnt suggest any treatment and said that I should see the doctor.

So I rang the doctors and got an appointment for 11am I got in there and was seen on time and the doctor said "you have conjunctivitis" and prescribed me some penicillin eye drops (she assured me that they wont effect the baby), I went into Boots handed over my prescription (hoping to be able to tick the pregnancy box on the back) but she never said a word (apart from your eyes look very sore).

Anyway my eyes are looking a lot better now ;o)

4 comments:

Al said...

A cold and then conjunctivitis? Not having much luck this week are you. I did wonder why we hadn't seen any pictures on Flickr from you this week but not being able to open your eyes is a pretty good excuse!

The crucial question remains unanswered though, did you get any sympathy for your cold?

chocolat lover said...

I was whinging enough that even the local hermit who hasnt been out of his cave for 5 years knew that I had a cold...

...so yes when I left work on Monday evening I did get a chorus of "I hope you feel better soon" ;o)

Anonymous said...

How terrible for you to be sick and not able to take medicine. Although over the counter cold medicine hardly works anyway. Hope you get better soon.

chocolat lover said...

thanks Connie - I have dragged myself into work again this morning, so I will see how I go