Thursday 24 November 2011

hisnia or hernia

Yesterday I had an appointment with the consultant...

We got there about 20 minutes early for our 9am appointment.

The nurse called us in just after 9am and did my bloodpressure etc before the consultant graced us with her presence!

She then had the cheek to say that we had got there early bearing in mind that she didnt come into see us until 9.15 - I felt like saying to her "how comes you came in so late to see us if you were here to see that we had arrived early" but I bit my tongue as I dont want my notes to be labelled with "do not give this woman any pain relief under ANY circumstances" ;o).  I know that is something that I would consider doing if someone had aggravated me!

I told her about the tingling and numbness that I have recently had in the tips of my fingers and she said that it was Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and it should go after I have delivered the baby.

I remember the first time I had heard of CTS it was in the mid 90's and my boss joked with me that it wasnt a "fear of tunnels" ;o)

I was then asked to get up on the bed so she could have a listen of the babys heartbeat...

...so I lifted up my top and she took one look and said that the baby looked big (when I queried if she meant abnormally big she said that it was the bigger side of normal) and that she wanted to do a scan!  She then asked if I had a hernia (as instead of having an outie I have a little bump under my belly button instead)

So we booked a scan for 3.20 that afternoon, it also meant that James would be home with me for the whole day too ;o)

It was back to the hospital that afternoon...

...we got there early again and this time managed to get seen early too ;o)

The Sonographer said that the baby is footling breech, and she did all of the measurements to see if the baby was indeed big.

The lady doing the scan then pointed out that the baby has hair ;o)  She then looked at James and said to me she has more hair than her Dad ;o)  But she did say that the head looked a little on the small size!

She then said that boys hair genes come from the Mothers side - so that is a bit of a relief if we ever have a boy ;o)

When we asked if the baby would have James Tefal Head otherwise known as tefalheadacitus she couldnt or rather wouldnt confirm it or deny it!

The scan was finally done and we had to wait for the print out of the results...

...they showed us a chart of the babys progression and everything seemed to follow at the correct rate of growth from the earlier scans ;o)

Im glad that it went well and at least we got to see the baby again ;o)

3 comments:

Al said...

Happy to hear that everything is as it should be.

Don't get me started on waiting around in hospitals though, I could be here all day and I have to go out shortly!

Eileen H said...

Gosh, they'd have something to moan about if you were late for your appointments.
Glad everything is alright. It's nice
that baby will be born with a good head of hair.

chocolat lover said...

Al - waiting around in hospitals isnt for the fainthearted - thats for sure!

Eileen - its quite spooky knowing that she has hair ;o)