Thursday 16 February 2012

the 8 week check


Evie had her 8 week check yesterday...

First of all we went into see the health visitor where she was weighed - she is now 8lbs 11.5 oz - I was asked if I had any questions and I didnt.

I wrapped her up in the blanket that I had bought with me and waited to be seen by the doctor,she was starting to grizzle because she was getting hungry.

We were then called in to see the doctor and I told him that we were here for her 8 week check and he asked if she was still colicy I said that "touch wood" it had stopped ;o)

He then measured her head (this was when she really started to scream) and he checked that the plates in her skull had fused together properly - yes they had luckily.

We then went into a side room where he did all of the checks that need to be done...

he checked her chest, heart, liver, back, walking reflexes, to see if she can hold her head up, and that the creases in her thighs matched - she was a okay ;o) (and she was still screaming throughout).

The doctor asked if I had any calpol in case she had any reactions to the injections - and I said that I had it in my bag just in case.

He said that if she is not herself then give her calpol every 6 hours until she is better and that it can take 2 or 3 days but if she has a high temperature then to bring her back to the surgery.

We then were called in to see the nurse.

The nurse undid her babygrow and vest and did an injection in each thigh and taped cotton wool over where the injection went in.  And yes she still screamed and the nurse even hugged her to make up for it although it was on the aggressive side (if thats possible).

I then booked up her next lot of jabs in 4 weeks time.

I was rather surprised that there was anyone left in the waiting room after Evies little performance.

As we left I siad to Evie "I bet that they will be glad to see the back of us" ;o)

We then went for a coffee to make up for our ordeal and because she was sleeping I made up her feed and gave her some calpol (as I would have expected her to stay awake).

She was really crotchety all evening and not happy at all so I gave her some more calpol before I put her down for the night.

She seems ok now (so I will see how she goes).

I never realised that Evie could scream so loud.

3 comments:

Eileen H said...

Glad everything was O.K.
Poor Evie, not at all happy with her ordeal :-(
Had to laugh... the nurse gave her a hug as in you're a sweet, little baby... but obviously didn't really mean it :-)

Al said...

I think if someone did all of that to you without you knowing what was going on you might have something to say about it too!

Happy to hear that everything is otherwise well with Evie though.

chocolat lover said...

Eileen - I felt like saying to her "dont be so aggressive" and I am sure that she can tell the hugs that are given with love from her mummy ;o)

Al - she really wasnt a happy bunny about it - hopefully nest time because its just the injections she wont be too bad.