Monday 22 December 2008

Were you expecting a John Lewis hamper?

To say the diet has gone out of the window would be an understatement ;o)


On Tuesday we had our Christmas lunch at Loch Fyne it was really nice. As I always do when chosing what I want to eat, I work my way from the dessert backwards. The chocolate orange tart was so nice I had two pieces! For main course I had duck with roast parsnips and for starters I had game terrine.


To drink we had champagne, white wine and port...


...I have to admit I was a bit squiffy and had to stop myself from falling asleep on my way home, luckily the train I caught was only going as far as Braintree (our trains can go as far as Peterborough!) so at least I would have still been in Essex.


I got a text message from James Tuesday morning asking if I was expecting a hamper from John Lewis? To which I said no, anyhow halfway through the lunch my colleague Alan gets a call from his wife saying that he had received a hamper too, at least that solved the question as to who it was from ;o).


To continue my "I'm only working half of December" ethos I had Thursday & Friday off. James suggested that we stay overnight in a hotel in London and have a meal in Chinatown. We stayed at a Best Western Hotel which was right by Chinatown.

The meal was really nice I ended up having a sizzling beef with ginger & spring onions and boiled rice (in a veiled attempt to be healthy) but then had banana fritters (they were truly scrummy).


Poor James (like most blokes) really hates going shopping, by lunchtime he was getting really fed up with all the walking about so we went to Pret A Manger (an upmarket sandwich shop) and we both went for the soup.

I must say Ive started to worry that Im turning middle class because...
  • Ive started eating posh soups and enjoying them
  • I have been buying my underwear in single pairs as opposed to packs of five
  • buy my biscuits in Fortnam & Masons
  • buy my clothes in Marks & Spencers & Next instead of Primark
  • I read Daily Mail as opposed to the Sun
  • Im a member of a chocolate tasting club
  • buy some organic food
Wait...
...I can counteract all that because I enjoy eating peanut butter & cheese and onion crisps sandwiches (yes both together) phew what a relief ;o)
On Friday morning on our way home we went into Hamleys and bought a Steiff bear in a suitcase, he has been looking very cagey and has been using the pc (I have a feeling he may be writing his own blog ;o)).
On Thursday its Christmas Day (and yes I'm very excited), I'll be leaving a glass of diet cola and a cinnamon swirl out. My hes tastes have changed...
...when I was little he liked a glass of Irish Cream and a slice of Christmas Cake ;o).
Ill also be tracking Santa and Ill be leaving a pillowcase at the bottom of our bed to see what presents Ill be getting ;o).
Merry messy Christmas!

6 comments:

Al said...

I take it the hamper came from work then? A nice gesture, and certainly better than the nothing we get where I work. Although I suspect supplying something like that to as many people as they employ would work out rather expensive!

Hmmm, peanut butter and cheese and onion crisp sandwiches? When I first read that I thought you were going to say peanut butter and cheese flavour crisps. It's an er... interesting combination.

Have a great Christmas!

chocolat lover said...

I was well surprised that the hamper was from work, it was very unexpected.

I also like peanut butter and raw onion sandwiches, but I thought that combination was too strange to mention ;o)

Have a grest Christmas too

James (UK) said...

The b@stards at my place stopped giving Xmas bonuses and gifts years ago... in fact, when I emailed two managers a few years ago to suggest that they give us IT-people a flash drive each, with the companies logo on, as people had been talking again about how we get nothing, both never even took the trouble to reply... and yes, I did get their "read response" ping-backs, so I know they got the mails...

:-(

Al said...

We get bugger all as well James, so I wouldn't worry. Quite a nice surprise the other day though, one of the regular photo lab customers bought us all one of those large tubs of Celebrations.

James (UK) said...

Hey, nice one! That's exactly what I always try and do for the Starbucks guys... we dropped off a tin of something or other, and some of those chocolate orange "segsations" this year, plus some other bits.

A few quid doesn't hurt to show you appreciate the good service etc.

chocolat lover said...

Its great when someone appreciates what you do enough to spend their own money...