Sunday 29 March 2009

Anyone for Chocolate sausages?

We have been watching Heston Blumenthals new series (which has now ended), in his latest episode he lays on a Roman Feast, one of the courses Trojan Hog features sausages with chocolate in (or rather cacoa).

Im not sure if I have previously mentioned this but I buy my sausages from the farmers market. Anyhow I was speaking to the lady who does the sausages and told her about Heston, and I think I may have talked her into making chocolate sausages ;o). I think the major selling point was that they would be great for Easter...

I will let you know if and when she starts selling them ;o)

Last weeks post lead to some comments from James that shops should start selling tubs of butter icing as that can be the best bit of the cake...

...knowing that Marks & Spencers have recently started selling "ready to bake" products for the ultra lazy, (perhaps they should use that as their tag line) I thought I would have a look to see if they did the butter icing in our store, and sure enough they do (in two flavours vanilla and chocolate), they were in 100 mil tubs (way too small in my opinion) and were £1.19 I think. James thought they were well expensive too, It would have been a different matter had it have been 1 pint for £1.00 or 1 gallon for £5.00, as you can be sure that we would both be sitting here in a butter icing induced stuper ;o).

On Wednesday I went back to my favourite shop, as I had finished my bar of chocolate with green peppercorns. This time I went for two bars one of sea salted caramel bar and the other is 85% Cardamom Bar. The shop assistant even recognised me from last time! Its only the second time I have been in there and I didnt think I would have made that much of an impression (perhaps it was stamping my feet shouting "no fair" when he told me they had sold out of the pecan mallows)...

...as it was lunchtime and it was quiet the French shop assistant then gave me the "hard sell" on their Easter collection which was coming in the next day. I will have to go back to see what delights they have, purely for research of course... ;o).

I hear you asking "So what was the new Innocent Veg Pot like?" What do you mean your interested...

...well Im going to tell you anyway - The Indian Daal Curry one was really nice (in fact it was so nice I bought another one this morning) it is equal with the Thai Coconut Curry they are both now my joint favourites ;o).

I have been buying tubs of ready made mashed potato (yes I know its lazy) so I can have bangers & mash (sans the gravy) for my dinner, as the mashed potato (I usually go for colcannon), hasnt been (in my opinion) colcannon enough I have colcannonised it (thats a good word ;o)), by adding loads of herbs and more spring onions making it extra scrummy.

Earlier this week we had train troubles, there was a lineside fire between Chelmsford and Hatfield Peverel, I like most people tend to catch the same train every day, and the one I catch starts from Chelmsford, but starts from platform 2 (the trains run towards Ipswich).

Whenever there are train troubles they then tend to start that train from Platform 1 (that runs towards London), as so many commuters (or rather customers as they like to call us) use our station the platform gets pretty crowded and then they wont let anymore people onto the platform until it has cleared.

This is what happened this time, as I was waiting to be let onto the other platform it struck me what a goldmine Costa Coffee was with its newly opened shop in Chelmsford station. I bet they made a packet with all the extra people wanting coffees as it was cold (you can be sure when they have to submit their sales figures at the end of the week they will be too gormless to work out the reason for it).

I was then allowed onto the platform, let the first train go as it was packed and got on the second one (which I had to stand on), I got into London half an hour later than I would have done so it wasnt too bad!

I didnt weighed myself this week, but I havent been too bad eating wise.

11 comments:

James (UK) said...

Aside from presuming the worst from that post title, I bet some people are wondering if the stallholder would be making chocolates that are shaped like sausages (I.E. a confection), as appose to what you and I meant, which was a meat sausage that had some cocoa added to it!

;-)

Al said...

Chocolate sausages? Now, I'm all for chocolate and all for sausages but combining the two? I'm not sure. It sounds like one of those things that the idea alone would be enough to put me off trying them.

I don't know, all this fancy chocolate you eat, what's wrong with a good old fashioned bar of Dairy Milk?

At least you only have to stand on the train when they're having problems. I remember the last time I went somewhere on the train, it was a First Capital Connect train from Three Bridges (starting from Brighton I think) to Blackfriars and I had to stand all the way to London Bridge. Bloody London to Brighton commuters! The next train from Blackfriars to Elephant & Castle was almost empty!

chocolat lover said...

James, a chocolate "full English" I could see that selling ;o)

Al, I love Dairy Milk too...

...if someone plonked a 200 gramme bar in front of me right now, then I would quite happily eat it!

As I have drastically cut down the amount of chocolate that Im eating, I now go for the fancy stuff, although I have to admit there are times when I just fancy a "Cadburys Fudge".

Thats the thing with trains, usually (provided theres no major problem) if the first train comes in packed the next one is more likely to be half empty, also your more likely to get a seat toward the back of the train too.

Thats the thing, if you time your journey wrong then you end up travelling in rush hour making a bad journey even more uncomfortable...

...poor commuters pay a lot of money for a rubbish service too!

If the sausages with chocolate do appear I will give you an unbiased opinion of them ;o)

Al said...

You're right of course. As a general rule I try not to travel during the rush hour simply because it's so crowded but that particular time I didn't have a choice.

The trouble with Three Bridges is that the back of the train thing doesn't really work as the platform entrances are more or less where the rear of a 4 car train would be so everyone there gets on the back. Of course if it's a longer train then you have more of a chance.

Al said...

Oh, and I suppose if you don't have chocolate all that often you might as well have the good stuff!

chocolat lover said...

They should make every train as long as they possibly can (meaning everyone should get a seat).

If they then bleat about lack of rolling stock availability, then bring back the slam door trains (unless they have done something useful with them like sending them to a third world country - oh look there a flying pig!)

Anonymous said...

The sea salted caramel bar sounds like a WIN! :) Did the salted caramel hot chocolate from Starbucks make it over there this past winter season? It was...to die for, I loved it. I only had a miniature amount, to taste it, because I viewed the calories beforehand. Horrendous. Nearly two day's worth of fat, I tell you!

The chocolate sausage sounds interesting. Chocolate can be used quite well in savory dishes. Chocolate and green pepper corns? You must elaborate!

chocolat lover said...

Kelly, the green peppercorns definitely added something to the chocolate, but were ground up too fine in my opinion.

The salted caramel hot chcocolate didnt nmake it here - although saying that we do have a caramel hot chocolate - so I guess the salted one would have been too similar to put on as an alternative.

We did get top try the salted caramel hot chocolate last year while on holiday in Seattle, the salt definitely gives the caramel a sweeter taste. We thought it was really nice (didnt dare look at the calories etc).

James (UK) said...

It's funny, as I never expected a "salted caramel" drink to work for me, and I love salt on my food... but I found there was a definite difference in flavour with the salted hot chocolate.

The only way I can think to describe it is it reminded me of fairground popcorn or candy floss (cotton candy), in that you felt like some of the salt from the burger / fries stalls had somehow "got in" to the mix... it wasn't bad, just changed it slightly.

People are so dumb over here, that they simply wouldn't try it if you included the word "salted" in a drink, so no wonder Starbucks didn't bother with it in the UK.

Al said...

I have to admit that I would probably be put off trying a drink which was described as salted just for that reason. Even the with the salted caramel chocolate, the salted part puts me off.

No doubt they're both nice and perfectly fine but you'd probably have to give me some without telling me what it was before I would try it.

chocolat lover said...

Perhaps Starbucks should do it as a "blind tasting", hopefully they would be surprised by the number of customers who enjoyed it...