Sunday 8 February 2009

They cope in Switzerland!

First thing first...

...the weather...

...we have two inches of snow and everything grinds to a halt (the trains were running very slowly here in Essex), but elsewhere the trains werent running at all!

There was even talk of some councils running out of grit for the roads!

Kelly, your originally from Minnesota arent you? Im sure Minnesotans (is that the correct terminology?) dont go into mass hysteria at two inches of snow!

Now that I have that off my chest back to what I wanted to say...

I know what you are all asking yourself, what happened Monday morning with the bloke who jumps in your seat when you get off at Shenfield? I was quite upset that he didnt batt an eyelid. Im not sure what I was expecting...

...I guess it was somewhere between a load audible sigh (that I could hear despite having earphones in) and a two year old style temper tantrum.

I was supposed to meet my friends for lunch on Tuesday but because of the weather (one friend took the day off because the roads were treacherous where she lives) lunch has been postponed. I didnt mind too much as it meant I could have a nice lunch elsewhere.

I have been making the most of the nice lunches that I can get in London that you cant get in Romford!

Ive had two soups from Pret a Manger the first one Sausage Hotpot Soup (a tomato soup with vegetables in and pieces of sausages) I had on Monday (because it was cold), and the second one was Thai Corn (on the hob) (a spicy sweetcorn soup with sweetcorn and potato), I knew that one would be nice as James had it when we were in Oxford Street just before Christmas.

I think that while its cold Im going to have soups as part of my lunch repertoire ;o).

I also had a half a lamb sandwich (or rather half a sandwich with lamb in it) from Birleys.

I tell you, you can buy some right poncey food in London...

...I was in Pret a Manger getting my soup and I was looking at their fruitbowls and saw mango with a squeeze of lime it was mango pieces with a wedge of lime that you squeeze over the mango! It actually added to the mango ;o).

I really think that eating this posh food is doing something to me...

...you know what, I may invite Clarissa and Hugo around for a spot of supper.

Im sure your thinking to yourselves "well Im sure that Hugo and Clarissa are a lovely couple", but there are two things wrong with that last statement...

...one I dont EVEN know a Hugo and Clarissa and two Ive never had a "spot of supper" in my Life!

Now for something unusual but nice...

We regularly have Insurance Brokers coming into our office...

...Thursday i got a phone call asking what coffee my boss would like, so I told him he likes lattes, then he asked what the rest of us would like (while he was on a coffee run), so I had a skinny latte and my colleagues had cappucinos, that was relly nice of him, I know he got them on expenses but it was still a nice gesture ;o).

I treated myself to a Krispy Kreme donut from Tesco on Friday, the donut of the month is Strawberry Kiss a heart shaped donut filled with strawberry sauce and covered with strawberry curls. and very nice it was too.

Im now working on the third floor, so as I walk up the stairs Im getting more excercise, and the ladies toilets are on the second floor and the fourth floor so I have to walk up and down stairs when I need a "visit" too, oh as well as having a longer walk to the train station too. Im going to be super fit soon ;o).

Yesterday we went to Matalan just to have a look around, I saw some
Wellington Boots, I bought some really nice navy blue boots with white stars on, to replace the boots I wore on Monday that I found out WERENT waterproof. I am now ready for the next lot of snow which probably wont come now until next year!

I weighed myself this morning and was well pleased that I lost another pound.

12 comments:

James (UK) said...

That pound lost was probably your prolonged "toilet stop" just before we went to Starbucks...

;-)

Al said...

Now that's more than I needed to know James.

I think a temper tantrum would have been an excellent response. It's a shame that the man didn't think so.

Also I'm not buying up all the donuts as they're too bloody expensive!

chocolat lover said...

James, as they say...

...every little helps ;o)

Al. I also like the normal 15p jam donuts (theyre a much better price ;o)) I think (provided you havent bought them all) I will get one on Saturday ;o)

damn, shouldnt have told you my plans...

Al said...

Ah, but this could be a clever plot to make me buy all the cheap donuts and leave the custard tarts alone.

However, I shall not fall for this evil trick and will buy up all the custard tarts, cheesecake slices and donuts.

Yes, that will work.

James (UK) said...

You wonder how someone can make a profit on a 15p doughnut...

Anonymous said...

Yay! A pound! Something I can understand :) And James should be nicer to you ;) What a weeny.

It seems that the tasty food and climbing stairs have created a great metabolism and you keep on burning the calories. That is awesome. Especially that strawberry donut and the Thai corn soup.....they both sound AMAZING!!!

Yep, I grew up in Minnesota, and Minnesotans (you were right!) don't give a darn about two inches...except to complain about it, maybe. The world keeps turning, the snow plows come out and there is salt and sand on the road. But, it is more of a big deal when the 'people' cannot deal with it properly or aren't set up to clear and remove the snow/ice. Just like when there is freezing rain here in TX, you would think we are literally snowed in or something! School delays and such....

Of all the years I lived in MN (12) we had one closing due to snow (24inches in one night) and another due to -40f before windchill. That is right, two days!!

Here is the address to the info about that blizzard, in case you care. Would someone nifty please teach me how to link it?

http://climate.umn.edu/doc/journal/top5/numberthree.htm

chocolat lover said...

Al, theres no fooling you... ;o)

Kelly, I think 24 inches of snow would shut down the whole of the UK!

Im glad its not just us Brits who over react to a bit of snow.

James has tried showing me how to embed the links into comments but it went in one ear and out the other...

James, I guess the supermarkets make so many donuts they can afford to sell them cheap, but it does make you wonder if they do make anything out of them.

James (UK) said...

If you retract your "weenie" insult, I may be willing to show you how to link text...

Al said...

Well donuts aren't generally loss leaders...

Having said that, if they're freshly made in store then I'm French and have six heads...

James (UK) said...

"Bonjour Al!, Bonjour Al!, Bonjour Al!, Bonjour Al!, Bonjour Al!, Bonjour Al!"

;-)

I didn't think there was one natural ingredient in those cheapo doughnuts... I still maintain they are made in laboratories somewhere out of dangerous chemicals.

Anonymous said...

James, you are not a weenie. I was just taking up for Amber!!!

Please, show me the trick!

James (UK) said...

Have a look at the examples here. You just need to insert the line;

[a href="http://www.thesite.com"]click this text [/a]

and subsitute the bracket symobols above for "greater than" and "less than" symbols "<>" accordingly.

Hope that helps.