Sunday 22 March 2009

black velvet

Every day for the past couple of weeks, I have been confronted by a blackboard on a pavement "A board" saying "try our yummy black velvet cupcakes" I have been umming and ahhing about trying one and on Thursday I finally cracked!

Yes I'm the gullible fool that all those adverts are aimed at - I admit it! ;o) If you word something just right I will succumb eventually...

I followed the arrow on the sign leading me around the perimeter of The Gherkin to Konditor & Cook, I entered the haven of yummieness asked in my least frantic voice saying "I would like two black velvet cupcakes please" The East European lady (how comes everyone in the food industry in London is always Eastern European? - I dont have a problem with this) says to me "I vill gow and cheyck on zem" she then came back and said "zey are being done now and vill be ready after 12".

Well at least I know they will be fresh.

I went back at lunchtime to get the yummy cupcakes and got one each for me and James. Good job the trains werent up the creek that evening as I dont think they would have made it home ;o).

They didnt disappoint me (lets put it that way - to be honest if its chocolately it rarely will ;o)), it was a chocolate cake with a whole load of lemon butter icing on top (so it looked like a pint of Guinness).

On Tuesday last week the managers of our building bought around croissants for all the tenants, apparently they do this about once a month (we never got this in Romford ;o)). Seeing the round croissant imediately took me back to when I was 11 at Hedley Walter High School in a French lesson when our teacher bought us out the very same croissants (obviously not the same ones as they would be 27 years old and stale!).

I got to try a another new soup this week from Pret a Manger, Slow-Cooked Miso Pork & Rice (free-range chicken stock, rice, pork, carrot, spring onion, miso paste, ginger, fish sauce, red chilli, garlic, soy sauce and sesame). Even better I managed to get the last portion of it too as just after I got my pot of soup the person serving me said that was the last of the pork...

...so to the guy who I "pipped to the post" it was really nice, I was making someone feel hungry at work while eating it too as he said it smelt like worcester sauce! I half expected him to back with some from another shop but he didnt.

While doing the food shopping this morning, I came across a new veg pot from Innocent, Indian Daal Curry, it sounds pretty yummy so Ill tell you what its like next week, Im still having the Coconut Thai Curry one too, as that really is my favourite one at the moment.

The weather has been really nice today and we ventured out for the first time this year without our winter coats!

I hear you asking "so what did the Black Velvet cupcake do to your weight?" what do you mean your not asking that? ;o) Well Ill tell you anyway...

...I put on one pound.

8 comments:

James (UK) said...

I think with those cakes, it's the inch of frosting that really is the "key". Why no-one has come out with solid "bars" of just frosting / icing I don't know. They'd make a million, I tells ya!

That, or selling uncleaned "cake mixing bowls" which have had a cake mixed in them. Everyone on the Earth loves to "lick out" the bowl after someone's finished doing their baking, so why not give the public what they want?

Did that sign really say "yummy"? Must be a woman who wrote that!

;-)

chocolat lover said...

I think your on to a winner there...

...they could co yoghurt pot sized pots of ready to eat cake mix, if they ever did come out I can see me getting fat again ;o)

They cant do this to me - ITS TOO PAINFUL.

Thinking about Marks & Spencers have started selling things like ready to bake brownies...

...mmmm I wonder if anyone has bought one yet with the sole intention of eating it uncooked.

Yes the sign really did say yummy (I'm sure it did ;o)), I think your right about it being written by a woman too, men are not that descriptive!

I think Im going back out now, down to M&S to see if they sell that uncooked brownie mixture?

no no no musnt BAD PERSON!

Al said...

They sounded really nice, just imagine what you would have missed out on if you had resisted temptation!

It's a shame that James liked it too as if he didn't then you could have had two. Or at the very least you could have bought two next time (I'm assuming there will be a next time) and claimed that you had simply forgotten he didn't like them, giving you two!

chocolat lover said...

Al, there will definitely be a next time ;o) Possibly Thursday...

If I had said I want to eat both of them I think James would have let me (provided he could have had a taste ;o))

Al said...

Well most people would when you threaten them with something sharp and pointy. Some would even forgo the taste too. :)

chocolat lover said...

Al, its funny how that always happens ;o)

I think the crazed look in my eyes (paired with my witches hair) makes people say "you have that one too"

Anonymous said...

Ready to eat cake mix? Have you seen these ?

All you do is add water and don't cook~ viola, ready to eat cake mix in controllable portions ;) (Not sure if this is available in the UK)

I am going to try and find a miso and pork recipe that I can through in my slow cooker. Your description made my mouth water, and I have yet to have breakfast!

Chocolate croissants, now those are beautiful creatures.

chocolat lover said...

those ready to make cake mixes is an excellent idea...

...I will have a look out for those when I do our food shop at the weekend ;o)

pain au chcoclates are nice to ;o)