Sunday 19 April 2009

the long short week

Why is it that short weeks always last longer than normal weeks? That always flummoxes me! I always know that by Wednesday afternoon I am over halfway through the week, but on the few weeks that we have a bank holiday then the halfway mark comes Wednesday evening, which is why psychologically its longer!

Last Monday the new series of Hells Kitchen started with the rather sexy Marco Pierre White running the pass. Im sorry James but if Marco said to me "let me take you away and hand feed you chocolate all day" then I would have my bags packed before you could say "did you check the coinstar?"

You will be pleased to know that the chilli and chocolate sausages were really nice! They had chilli in them with little pockets of dark chocolate that melted as they cooked, the combination really worked well together ;o). The sausage lady didnt make them this week, but will make them again either for next week or the week after. I was speaking to her husband and he said they sold out last Saturday too and also sold out at Barleylands. Hopefully the sausages will continue selling well (and not just because it was Easter).

While doing the shopping this morning I bought a new Innocent Veg pot, British Spring Greens, hopefully it will be as nice as the others are.

On Tuesday morning at Liverpool Street Station I came across this sign at the Bishopsgate exit escalators.



I always walk up and down the stairs (and that is always during the peak periods anyway). It will only affect the people who would want to use the escalators whilst going in the "wrong" direction! Upto a few weeks ago they were renovating the escalators (one at a time) and they were running in the "wrong" direction, as trying to walk up/down the stairs would be a complete nightmare when everyone is walking the other way!. It reminds me back to when I was at school we had "up" stairs and "down" stairs but at hometime and lunchtime everyone would walk down the nearest staircase!

I knew after all the chocolate I ate last week it was inevitable that I would have put on some weight this week...

...even still there was a teeny part of me hoping that there would be a small loss, huh! fat chance of that happening! I shouldnt really have been surprised that I put on four pounds!

Like I said last week the bad weeks make the good weeks seem better (I just have to keep telling myself this) ;o)

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Johnny Depp is my Marco. If he invited me to an island to drink rum forever, I would be gone! No hesitations! (and definitely no coinstar nonsense ;) )

The sausages sound delightful. What did you pair them with for your meal? I am glad they are selling well...maybe this will encourage them to continue trying new things. I think there were some chicken and apple sausages here at the local store (not homemade, or even close to it, I am sure). I was tempted to try them, but I didn't.

chocolat lover said...

You should definitely try the sausages, I have them in groups of two! and that way they last me over three days...

the first pairing was with a coconut curry veg pot, the second was with boiled potatoes (with their skin on) and leeks, and the third was with colcannon mash (mashed potato with cabbage) pimped up with basil & spring onions (scallions).

James (UK) said...

I can't ever seem to use Escalators... they always have a sign saying "dogs must be carried", and I can never find one to borrow. :-(

Anonymous said...

*shakes head at James*

Okay, that settles it, I am on a mission to find and try an unusual sausage!

Anonymous said...

I've been waiting patiently since Thursday to find out how those sausages tasted, so I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed them! I'm still not sure about the chocolate part though. The chilli on it's own I'd happily go for but the chocolate puts me off a bit. That being said, if I tried them I'd probably like them.

Speaking of stairs and escalators, I've noticed that I've become very lazy recently. At work, I've found myself taking the travelator up to the mezzanine floor and then going to the canteen that way rather than walking up the stairs. This must stop, there's no reason for it! At least to get in and out of the staff entrance I'm forced to use stairs.

chocolat lover said...

Kelly, youll have to tell me what sausages you find ;o)

James, your also supposed to carry pushchairs/strollers too!

Al, if your walking up the travelator (until you get behind someone (with their wheel-locked trolley) then thats using a whole set of different muscels - so is also healthy - if on the other hand you just stand on there? I guess then you can say your building stability.

See you can use logic for anything - its great ;o)

How about alternating stairs and travelator - that way you get the best of both worlds ;o)

James (UK) said...

It's hard enough to find someone willing to lend me their dog, let alone someone who'll lend me their pushchair! I'm liable to be arrested and end up with "baby kidnapper" on my rap sheet on top of all the other convictions! ;-)

Tell Al about those "Kev's Firecracker" sausages, if he likes the sound of the chilli ones!

chocolat lover said...

James, your right I should mention the chilli sausages that the sausage lady makes...

...she makes two sorts Kevs Firecracker which is a pork sausage with chillis in which are quite hot (but not too hot), then there is Kevs Revenge which will blow your head off.

I was umming and ahhing about whether to buy some of the Revenge sausages and I was told "well why not just buy one so you can try them" good idea I thought, so me and James tried half each and we both thought it was too hot!

I will try and remember to pick up a leaflet which lists all the sausages that she does.

Anonymous said...

Now they definitely sound like my kind of thing!

Does it work if you go up the travelator and down the stairs each time? :-)

chocolat lover said...

Definitely does Al ;o)

Anonymous said...

Excellent I shall do that then!

At least I'm not taking the lift all the time like one woman does!

chocolat lover said...

One person at my place takes the lift all the time.

The others take the lift up but walks down the stairs, mind you we are on the third floor.

I on the other hand take the stairs up and down ;o)

Anonymous said...

Well taking the lift for three floors isn't quite as bad as taking it for one! I bet she wastes more of her life waiting for the lift than the she would just walking.

James (UK) said...

I still love Abe Simpson's line when he comes out of a "Porta-Loo" at some Country Fair in an episode of "The Simpsons";

"This elevator only goes down to the basement... and someone made an awful mess down there..."