Thursday 8 December 2011

seeing the anesthetist

We went to see the anesthetist yesterday, and typically I had just started eating a nutri-grain bar when I was called in!

We went into the consulting room and I was asked how the pregnancy was going, and I said that it was ok but that I have carpal tunnel syndrome (just in case it made any difference to the anesthesia needed).  He just said that it was very common in pregnancy.

I was then asked why I was having a planned c-section, and I told him about the littlun being footling breech, we were then asked if it had been booked and we said that we were seeing the consultant next week and she would tell us what was happening.

I was then asked about any previous anesthetics that I had so I mentioned my VSD closure and that I had had local anesthetics before, and if I had any allergies?  Only the very odd bout of hayfever.

I was then asked to sit on the bed so that he could examine my spine (to make sure that my back wasnt all weird or something hee hee it wasnt).

We were then showed a photo album of the procedure and was pleased to see that the couple involved didnt look traumatized (although thinking about it they wouldnt want to go putting people off now would they).

Then we were told that we would have a final scan on the day of the operation and if the baby had turned then we could either still have it done or I could just go home and wait for her to come in her own time.

Interestingly my Mum said that I was breech and that they turned me but then turned again and at the last minute I turned back again, I am quite reassured that I have always been stubborn ;o)

We were looking in the onsite Marks & Spencer and I saw this sign.


Im not overly bothered because I dont like flowers but I can imagine some people kicking up a right fuss!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had two c-sections. The first one was awful. The anesthetist felt like he was pounding a spike in my lower spine. He kept hitting the thing going in my back and yelling at me to relax. It took forever and I don't think he ever did it right because they had to put me out in the operating room. The second one didn't hurt at all. He knew what he was doing.

Eileen H said...

It looks like you will be able to make the decision on how your baby is born. I'm sure everything will be fine. You have sailed through your pregnancy :-)

chocolat lover said...

Connie - your first experience sounded horrendous!

I hope that they dont put me out because I wouldnt want James to miss out on the whole birth thing...

...the literature I have been reading says that if the Mum is put out then the Dad cant stay and that would be just awful :o(

Eileen - I guessed that I have sailed through pretty much ;o)

When we were leaving on Wednesday there was a woman and her hubby - not sure how far she was but she looked like she was in real agony poor thing.

Your Christmas card arrived yesterday - thanks ;o)