Sunday 10 August 2008

Meatballs of Mass Destruction

First things first...


The meatballs turned out well...


They were the size of a tennis ball (no exaggeration there I'm afraid), as I really can't do "dainty", mind you I've never tried - and I ain't likely to ;o).


I ended up using all 500 grammes of the mince (as when I tried with half the pack there was more bread crumbs than meat), I also added the remainder of the Italian style herbs (oregano and rosemary) adding them whole (including some rosemary stalks as I couldn't remove the leaves properly ;o)), an egg, the breadcrumbs I used was a quarter of a french stick.


I cooked the meatballs in the oven for 20 minutes then added them to the sauce that I made...


The sauce was one can of chopped tomatoes, three chopped mushrooms and a chunkily chopped red pepper.


I ended up rinsing the can out (into the sauce) with too much water - meaning the sauce was really watery (and I couldnt get it to reduce down).

I then finished the meatballs cooking in the sauce for 10 minutes, and then added them to pasta and potatoes.

All in all they were very nice and more importantly, I didn't give myself food poisoning ;o).

This week I'm going to attempt a turkey chilli...

I've bought...
  • a pack of turkey mince
  • a red and green pepper (two peppers not one)
  • a jar or tomato and chilli sauce
  • oh, and some kidney beans
I shall let you know how I get on next week.

I weighed myself again today (I only ended up putting on 200 grammes) but its probably water retention.

They say one person can express the view of 100 people...

I was walking to Chelmsford train station on Thursday when a lady come upto me and said that I looked really good with all the weight that I had lost and that it made me look years younger.

I must say I was well chuffed all day ;o)

6 comments:

James (UK) said...

I can vouch for the size of the meatballs. In Chinese cuisine, they say the larger the meatball, the better, and they call them "Lion's Head" meatballs due to their large size.

Amber's could have been called "Elephant's Head" meatballs, they were so large! And I don't mean John Merrick there. (Mind you, they were hideously deformed, with lumps of pepper and onion sticking out of them, so perhaps "Elephant Man" balls isn't such a bad description after all...)

chocolat lover said...

Didnt I tell you, I got the recipe from my book "How to cook fer ya Elefant, Man"

;o)

Anonymous said...

Hi Amber, impressed by you weight loss. I think if you take a real interest in food and in cooking you can filter out alot of the weight gain crap and as you have proved still eat chocolate. My weight gain can come from too much bread/toast (all those spreads) and just eating out on the go. So I restrict myself to alot less bread these days and make sure I have food out on my travels. I also walk alot with the dog.
Anyhow keep it up : )

chocolat lover said...

thanks Another Number ;o)

Yes I too make sure I dont eat too much of the bad stuff...

I normally go for a long(ish) walk on Saturday afternoons. I also walk up and down the stairs at work rather than use the lift.

Man said...

Nice last week I made Swedish Meatballs only two problems came up I lacked sufficient honey so it was not as sweet.

Second the recipe said I would get 30-45 meatballs but I got 15 fat-balls. They must sell a meatballer-machine for just this problem.

chocolat lover said...

Thanks Man, I'll have to give Swedish meatballs a go myself...

They'll probably turn out more like meatballs ala "The Swedish Chef" from The Muppet Show ;o)