Monday 20 June 2011

twelve week scan

Our appointment was for 11am at Broomfield Hospital here in sunny Chelmsford (the word sunny really does make everywhere sound nicer ;o)).

We arrived at about 10.45 and James had a looksie in the charity shop (to see if he could find an cheap books to bookcross) he didnt find any.

So we made our way up to the fourth floor where the ultra sound scanning takes place, I tell the receptionist that I am here and sit down with my huge bottle of water (as I was told in the letter that I had received that I need to have a full bladder) and no sooner have we sat down do I get called in, my first thought was no I havent drank nearly enough (I needant have worried as I wasnt asked if I had a full bladder).

So I go through with the sonographer (and she sees all of my blood test forms) and asks me if I am having a downs test done? and she takes the appropriate form out of my hand...

So I get shown where to lie down (behind a screened area) and am told to pull my t-shirt up and my jogging bottoms down to my hips...

She puts the gel on my tummy and then starts to use the scanner she says that she can see a heartbeat (James is meanwhile looking around to where she is sitting and yells out to me "I can see the baby" ;o) The sonographer then turns on the monitor above where I am lying and shows us the baby...

She then starts reading out a load of measurements to the people on the other side of the curtain, and she says that she can see four limbs and a stomach ;o)

The baby seemed to be bouncing around (although James says that is where the scanner was moving rather than littlun bouncing), at one point he/she was even pointing to the fact that there were some feet at the end of the legs.

We were asked if we wanted a picture and we both said yes and the lady then showed us two of the best pictures (one being of littlun pointing) and we decided to go for both of them


I have heard previously that antenatal classes get booked up really quickly so I tried to book them up there and then but was thwarted because their booking didnt go that far ahead!

I then had to go for my blood tests...

...James went ahead of me and got me my number (delicatessant number style LOL I was very tempted to ask for 100 grammes of glazed ham ;o)).

The queue went very quickly and I got seen, I didnt look at how much blood was being taken or how many vials were being filled in case I went all woozy.

6 comments:

Eileen H said...

Wonderful news, I am so happy for you both. I will be eagerly awaiting all the pregnancy updates on your blog
The scans are amazing. There weren't scans when I was expecting in 1975 and 1978,how I wish there had been! I don't even have any grandchildren to coo over either :(

You haven't told us your due date yet.

Congratulations xx

chocolat lover said...

thanks Eileen...

...my due date is 29th December.

You can always coo over this one ;o)

Its amazing how much technology has progressed.

Eileen H said...

How lovely. You might have a Christmas or New Year baby.

I remember my old fashioned doctor telling me "the apple will fall when it's ripe". I was overdue and worried!

I certainly will coo over your baby :)

My two aren't going to oblige!

Al said...

Ah, the ultrasound. It's an annual occurance for me, although it's not pregnancy related and there are no pictures to be had aferwards. I have noticed that the ultrasound department seems to be one of the most efficient in any hospital though.

Ever thought of looking into getting one of those 3D ultrasound scans done?

chocolat lover said...

Al - we will have to look into that ;o)

I think that you should demand one next time - although hospitals do tend to charge for them...

Al said...

I'm not sure I want a picture of my spleen though, it can't be that interesting to look at...