Tuesday 18 March 2014

I didnt look too much like riff raff

I had the appointment yesterday afternoon...

...when James got home from work I made sure I changed out of my t-shirt and jogging bottoms into something a bit more smart (after all I was going to a private hospital).

So I got there 15 minutes early and found the waiting room and no sooner had I sat down then I was shown into the consultants office.

I told him about the hernia and he asked why I left it so long so explained about the c-section and the pooled blood and Emma and how it just went on the back burner so to speak.

He then asked where the hernia was so I showed him and he got me to lie on the couch so that he could have a look at it...

...he prodded it (like the doctor at the surgery did) and then he started trying to push it back in!

He said that at the moment it is just fatty tissue coming through the hole but over years it will get bigger and then bowel could come through and thats when the problems start so its better to get it sorted out before that happens.

I was then asked what I wanted to do about it and I said to get it sorted out.

He then asked me if this was being done through private medical cover and I said no its through the NHS he said oh yes it says it here, and then he said that the hospital will write to me giving me the date of the operation and the latest date that it will be will be 1st July.

While I was there I picked up a leaflet hat had the costs of various operations and for a hernia it said that its from £1935 Im not sure how much I expected it to cost...

It all seems a bit more real now!

4 comments:

Eileen H said...

Best to get it sorted now than leave it to get worse. I hope you don't have to wait too long. I would never pay for private treatment and isn't it so expensive. However the NHS waiting times are not nice!

chocolat lover said...

On the letter that I got for the consultations appointment it said that if surgery is needed then it will be 10-16 weeks from the date that I booked the appointment...

...hopefully it will be nearer the 10 weeks ;o)

Unknown said...

I'm glad you are getting something done about it. It's so weird to read about the healthcare choices that you have. We don't have that in the U.S. I know the grass always looks greener on the other side, but your grass is looking downright lush compared to ours. :/

chocolat lover said...

the NHS does have a lot of problems but if someone has a serious health problem then they do come into their own.

With Choose and book I had a choice of 6 hospitals and the website said what the average waiting time was for an appointment to see a consultant it seemed to be either a week or 3 weeks!

I chose the private hospital because not only is it nearer but Im guessing or rather hoping that the surgery will be carried out slightly quicker than had I gone to Broomfield which was where I expected my appointments to be.