Tuesday 5 April 2011

in place of the can of Tennents Super

James has been into bookcrossing of late, and has been searching out places to hide books for other bookcrossers to find (as opposed to members of the general public).

Anyhow on Saturday morning we decided to see if there were any suitable places in the grounds of Chelmsford Cathedral, and yes we did find the perfect looking vault )it was elevated above ground on four legs with a triangle bit where a book could easily be "hidden".


So yesterday lunchtime James goes to the Cathedral to place the book under the vault - he places his hand behind the triangle bit and feels a can that is filled with "something" eeeeuuuugggghhhh was his first thought then came "what has someone filled this with?". So he gingerly pulled out the can and saw that it is a can of Tennents Super he then inspected the can and saw that it was still unopened but was covered in thick dust (he surmised that someone had squirrelled it away for a "rainy day" but had forgotten about it as the BB date was March 2011).

So he placed the book in there and promptly threw the can in the bin.

LOL he is now worried that the wino will be back looking for his can of beer and will find the book and journal "what did you do with my can of beer? I was saving it for the Royal Wedding...

...no I cant be angry with you I love you really, you are my besht mate...

...WHAT DID YOU DO WITH MY BEER?"

3 comments:

Eileen H said...

Not heard of bookcrossing before - what a great idea !

I'm afraid it wouldn't work in my neck of the woods- you would be really afraid to put your hand in places like that!! Couldn't James have replaced the can of beer to it's hiding place, sure the wino wouldn't be interested in the book :)

Al said...

I wondered why you had some many pictures from there on Flickr. I guessed there must be some sort of reason but I couldn't work it out. All has been explained now though.

I imagine that whoever put the can there in the first place has long since forgotten about it. It strikes me that the sort of person who would drink that stuff in that sort of location wouldn't be the sort of person to consider saving some for a special occassion!

At least the can was unopened, I dread to think what it might have contained otherwise...

chocolat lover said...

Eileen - when he walked past there yesterday he said that the book was still there...

Al - I think that was his first thought!