Wednesday 29 May 2013

a bank holiday joust

We were undecided about what to do on the bank holiday so I had a look online and found that there was a jousting tournament at Headingham Castle...


...so thats what we decided to do ;o)

We got there just after it had opened (our thinking was that if it was rubbish then we could leave early and do something else).

As I had been in the castle before (for a friends wedding in 2003) I let James go in while I sat with Evie on the blanket that I had bought with us.



When James got back he had a look at the stalls (there were only about 8 of them although there was room for more) and then I had a look and bought Evie a chocolate chip cookie to eat (and I got myself a brownie too), I then had a look at the food stands to decide what I wanted for my lunch and decided on a hog roast roll ;o)

Then just before 11.30 we heard them announcing the start of the jester show - he was very funny and was speaking like a child does - first of all we were sitting on the grass and then Evie started trying to crawl away from me so we stood up and when the maypole dancing started we made our way back to where James was (as it was coming up for Evies lunch time) we had just some little snacky bits to eat - she loved sitting on the blanket eating her lunch ;o).


I got my hog roast in a roll it was really nice and came with crackling too ;o)

Then at 12.30 the show started - King Henry VIII was comparing the show and was very funny ;o)

It started with a kids parade (they asked for 6 or 7 children and about 100 went up ;o))



James and Evie were watching the tournament too


The knights then started practicing by picking up severed heads!


Then there was a fight between the 2 blue knights


then the jousting started


then big burly Bob (as in Blackadder Goes Forth) was caught skinny dipping in the lake and was punished by being dragged by a horse while in a sack.


a mustang and a helicopter flew over head


then there was picking up hoops


and a sword fight


and then the end




I really enjoyed the show and told King Henry on our way out ;o)

3 comments:

Eileen H said...

That looked like a really fun day out.
The hog roast roll with crackling is making me feel hungry mmmm :-)

Kelly said...

My, Evie is getting so big! She's still just as adorable, though, with those beautiful big eyes!

chocolat lover said...

Eileen - the show was really good...

...I think that it will be fun to go again in a couple of years when Evie can participate ;o)

Kelly - its scary how fast she is growing up but exciting too ;o)