Thursday 24 March 2011

does this mean that I will have to take a different route to work

Shops that I have been walking past have been slowly shutting since September last year...

It started with Barneys Place and Richer Sounds towards the end of last year, then on Friday last week Pret a Manger closed their shop, then this morning I saw that Orange is closing their shop on Friday, at this point the penny finally dropped that something was going on...

and then the crescendo was seeing this sign in the window of The Stone Horse.


Does this mean that I wont be able to walk down the Side of the Heron Tower now?

The route that I think I will take (if I have to change) will then include 2 lots of Boris Bikes so that is twice the photo opportunities ;o)

6 comments:

Eileen H said...

Bye for now must mean they'll be back.
Our town is becoming like a ghost town with the amount of abandoned shops.

chocolat lover said...

I have never been in there myself I just walk past it every morning...

...it was just a surprise that it is to be demolished!

Al said...

At least if you have to take a different route it will give you more to photograph. Then there's always the construction of whatever is going to replace the exisiting buildings.

You'll have to leave earlier in the morning there will be that many to take!

Connie T. said...

A lot of businesses have gone out of business here too. Will gas for you car getting so expensive a lot of people will be buying less.

Connie T. said...

I meant with gas being expensive. My hands hit the wrong keys.

chocolat lover said...

Connie - the biggest shock in the UK (with the recession) was a couple of years ago when Woolworths went out of business, and last year a shoeshop chain called Faith went out of business too.

These shops that are shutting here in London are simply because their leases havent been renewed because they are going to demolish the block.

The commuters who come into London tend to use the train rather than drive is as the parking would be astronomical plus they would have to pay £10 each day for the congestion charge