Wednesday 30 March 2011

not such good treats

Starbucks have been offering treats on Thursdays throughout March for their cardholders...

...the first Thursday (being their 40th birthday and all) the treat was a free petite pastry which I went for...

... the second treat was a free cocoa cappuccino when you bought a drink (I didnt go for that one because I didnt want to have two drinks!).

I was looking forward to what my third treat was going to be...

it was a free bag of coffee beans (again this was a treat that I wasnt going to go for).

And yesterday I got an e-mail saying what the final treat was (as this is the last Thursday in March) and *sigh* it is another bag of coffee...

...why couldnt they have made the treats food ones - that would have bought in more customers which is what the aim of the treats were after all!

1 comment:

Al said...

Maybe giving away food would cost them more than anything else? I mean, how much would a drink or bag of coffee (probably a very small one) cost them to give away?

I imagine the food was the first one to promote the new range and hopefully get people hooked in to it, thus generating money in the long run.

After that, the perhaps realised that many regular customers would have their own card, so would use the free drink to give to someone else, hopefully converting them to the Starbucks way. Same sort of idea with the coffee, but hopefully getting you to buy it regularly.