Friday 4 March 2011

why cant we have both?

I saw on the cover of todays Metro this article that they are thinking of moving the May Day Bank Holiday to either St Georges Day the 23rd April or Trafalgar Day the 21st October.

By all means move May Day because lets face it we have too many of our bank holidays all squashed together on the calendar what with Easter (by far one of my favourite holidays because of the chocolates that am able to eat without James having a pop at me) being at the end of April this year then the following week we have May Day then four weeks later we have Whitsun.

But why oh why oh why cant we have both St Georges Day and Trafalgar Day?  We have the fewest Bank Holidays like anywhere and having one extra will improve morale LOL it will improve mine anyway ;o)

6 comments:

Eileen H said...

If they move the May Day Bank Holiday to St George's Day, then it would only be fair that St David's Day an 1st March is a Bank Holiday too :)

Connie T. said...

Don't you also have a holiday when the prince gets married?

Kelly said...

It would be interesting to see who has more bank holidays; the US or the UK.

Whatever happens, I hope you get whatever works out best for Amber ;)

Al said...

I don't see why we can't have both of those days and keep the May Day one too. :)

Personally I'd prefer to keep the May Day one where it is. This is for purely selfish reasons as I always have that week off and it means I have to use one less day from my holidays. However, if they must move it (and I will sulk if they do) then I think October would be the better option. I mean having St George's Day doesn't really space them out any more than the May Day one does.

Diamond Geezer has written about this very subject at http://diamondgeezer.blogspot.com/2011_03_01_archive.html#4534320152351758057

Al said...

Another post from Diamond Geezer on why the St George's Day bank holiday wouldn't work (clickable this time, because I'm convenient like that):

Clicky.

chocolat lover said...

Eileen - they should definitely also make St Davids Day a holiday too (its only fair after all) ;o)

Connie - yes we do get a holday when William marries Kate but it isnt a proper bank holiday it is just one for that occasion and next year we get an extra day for the Queens Diamond Jubilee too ;o)

Kelly - I say the more days the better - I just dont like them being bunched up to all fall within a five week period.

Al - Diamond Geezer is right - perhaps we should all go for Trafalgar Day ;o)